In the Torah portion Beshalach, we read about the Jewish people finally leave Egypt after 210 years of slavery on the 49 day journey towards Mount Sinai. The sages tell us the significance of the number 49 is that the people were on the 49th level of impurity (50 is the lowest) and they needed to leave at that precise moment before they fell even further. They also tell us that every day on their journey, they were able to raise themselves 1 level so that when they experienced the revelation of G-d on
- Return to Egyptian slavery
- Fight the Egyptian army
- Throw themselves into the sea to drown
- Pray to G-d for an answer
- Return to slavery – This could be compared to going to the non kosher restaurant. Do we abandon our journey towards truth?
- Fight – We could argue with our boss and the client for being so spiritually insensitive to put us in such a situation.
- Drown – This could be compared to calling in sick that day, losing the client or quitting the job all together.
- Pray – While we should always pray for clarity, there comes a time that prolonged prayer doesn’t help and we need to make a decision.